-->

Learn Perfect English Grammar

Learn Perfect English grammar blog tutorials online.Advance English lessons and Execises,Flashcards.english language learning online

what are the Modals ? definition&explanation

what are the Modals ? definition&explanation

Modals:
what are the Modals ? definition&explanation

Definition1:  Modal auxiliary is the verb that is used with another verb. Ex: can, may, should….; to express possibility, permission etc...
Definition2: Modal auxiliary generally expresses speaker attitudes (way of thinking or behaving). For example: modals can express that a speaker feels something is necessary, advisable, possible, permissible or probable.
The Modal auxiliaries  in English are:
Can, could, had better, may, might, must, ought to, shall, should, will and would.
Modal
Meaning
Example
can
to express ability
I can speak a little Russian.
can
to request permission
Can I open the window?
may
to express possibility
I may be home late.
may
to request permission
May I sit down, please?
must
to express obligation
I must go now.
must
to express strong belief
She must be over 90 years old.
should
to give advice
You should stop smoking.
would
to request or offer
Would you like a cup of tea?
would
in if-sentences
If I were you, I would say sorry.

ð Modal verbs do not take "-s" in the third person( he, she, it )
Correct: She can do it.
Incorrect: She cans do it.
==>The only exception ought to, which is followed by an infinitive            
(to + the simple form for a verb).
==>Polite request with (I) as the subject.
Ex: May I borrow your pen, please?
     Could I borrow your phone, please?
·        May I and could I are used to request permission. They are equally polite.
·        Note: In a polite request , could has a present  or future meaning not a past time
Incorrect: May you pass the salt?
May is used only with I or we in polite request.
==>Can is used informally to request permission
==>Can I is usually considered a little less polite than May I or Could I.
==>Often the response to a polite request is an action, such as a nod or shake of the head, or a simple “uh-huh”.
+ Yes, certainly, yes of course.
ð Polite request with “ You” as the subject :

·        Ex:  Would you pass the salt (please)?
Will you pass the salt (please)?
==>the meaning of would you and will you in a polite request is the same; would you is more comment and is often considered more polite.


. Many modal verbs cannot be used in the past tenses or the future tenses.

Examples:
  • He will can go with us. Not Correct
  • She musted study very hard. Not Correct

Check your understand : Modal verbs exercise with answers